2.5.11

Working with sound

The sound in my sketch obviously isn't musical - rather it's more environmental. I think this is a downfall. I feel I should have created a wind chime soft musical piece to match the magical glow worm environment. Although, I'd then be asked 'But one doesn't find wind chimes in caves... why does this one have them?'...

Anyway, getting back to my point. I have worked on my individual sound bites. I've decreased the volume of some, created continual loops for the rain in the background and have attached the Drips and Torch sound to match clicks of the mouse or movement over an area.

The water droplets/ripples originally created more than one drip sound. I have reduced this to a single drip along with a single ripple. This leaves more power to the user to control where the drips occur. In addition to this. The sound of the drip gets fainter and fainter the further you click up the screen(over the water section). This is to represent depth and distance.

I had a frog croaking to the side of the screen somewhere but have removed this as it was unnecessary.

I've played and played and pondered over the idea of moving the boat from left to right. I had this originally coded in, but removed it after the Friday night presentation. Since then, I have added it. When the boat moves side to side it creates a boat rocking sound. Unfortunately, the is a bug I just cannot get around with the playing of this sound bite. If the keyboard buttons are pressed for a duration of time to move the boat from side to side, it thinks this is a collection of lots of keyboard taps. Due to this, it plays the sound bite over and over again but restarting every quarter of a second. This is silly, but unfixable.

No comments:

Post a Comment